1. Why did you start a Twitter account?
A. Arminian Bruce Banner was on twitter one day and he got into an argument with a Calvinist. As he was arguing for his free will in salvation, he started to get angry. Uncontrollably angry. His anger ballooned and, ironically, he lost control. Enter Calvinist Hulk. I generated my own account to defend the doctrine of grace as vehemently and passionately as they deserve. Hulk Smash!
2. What has been your favourite Twitter interaction so far?
A. High five on the British spelling of favourite. 🙂 I have enjoyed a lot of twitter interactions. It’s hard to narrow it down to just one. I really enjoyed my #HulkBibleMoments #BibleVideoGame and #IfPastorsCouldPunch tweets. That was fun and funny.
3. Who is your favorite theologian, past and/or present?
A. Historically speaking I’m a huge fan of Jonathan Edwards and Spurgeon. Modern theologians include Sproul, Sr. and John H. Gerstner. Love both of them and they have both affected my theological development deeply.
4. Is it easier to be who you really are as an Anon?
A. I think I am more free to display acts of righteous indignation without actually getting personal myself. I found when I got angry on my personal account, I was actually angry on a personal level. With Hulk, I can express that anger but if it gets out of control I’m not personally vested and I can laugh it off with a joke or something.
5. What is something that people would be surprised to know about you?
A. I think if my real identity were discovered it would surprise a lot of people.
6. What book are you reading? OR: Besides the Bible, what book has influenced your Christian walk the most?
A. There are a lot of books I cite to answer this question. In terms of Calvinistic Soteriology, Sproul’s Loved by God was my introduction to the subject and I was handily convinced. I also like a book called Calvin’s Doctrine of Word and Sacrament by Ronald Wallace.
7. What’s your favorite movie or TV show?
I like Brooklyn 99, American Pickers, and Mythbusters. Good stuff right there.
8. What is your pet peeve in church or with Christians?
There are many. Probably my biggest frustration right now is the massive disconnect between what many say they believe and what actually is defensible in Scripture. People, by and large, treat the Bible like a horoscope or fortune cookie that’s open to their own interpretation. They take little bits and go bananas with it. It’s disrespectful to both the Word and the God of that Word.
9. Why is it important to study theology?
A. Here comes a classic Hulk response: If you don’t, you’re stupid. The end.
10. After a stressful day, what’s your favourite way of relaxing?
A. Sleep. Watch TV or just retire to my office. It’s weird, but I distinguish between “my work” and “work.” I can find working on “my work” very relaxing.
11. What’s your favourite Bible verse(s)?
A. I am strangely amused by verses that display horrific acts of violence. First, because I’m the hulk and HULK SMASH. Second, because it usually shocks people to find out that’s in the Bible. For example, when the lady wanted to boil and eat another woman’s son. Good times.
12. What makes you so very bored?
A. Answering these questions. #Boom 😉
13. Do you like chocolate? If yes, what’s your favourite kind?
A. Absolutely. My favorite would be Reese’s or Dove chocolate. I really like White chocolate, too.
14. What place in the world would you like to visit? Why? OR If you could be any place right now, where would it be? Why?
A. I’d really like to visit Australia and I’ve considered New Zealand a few times. Not sure why. Always wanted to. If Trump, Clinton, or Sanders are elected president… I may deport myself.
15. What are the three top things on your bucket list for this year?
A. It’s tough to set goals when Arminian Bruce is running things half the time. If I can get through a day without ripping my pants that’d be great. 😉
16. Your friend wants you to go to her Bible study group…but your favorite band is in town, and another friend gives you tickets to the concert. What would you do?
A. This is a tough one because I’m not really a “band” person. Still, I’d say “Jesus can wait, I have a concert to go to.” Seriously though, I’d explain the unique situation and offer to go to the Bible study another week or to meet another day to discuss the study. I might also offer to invite them to the concert if I had enough tickets.
17. Your worst critic in the church is shopping in the same grocery store you’re at. Do you: look for the nearest exit, put your dark glasses on, run your grocery cart into them, or pretend you didn’t see them?
A. HULK SMASH!!!!!!!!!!!
18. Link us to your go-to song of the moment while driving to Sunday worship—you know, the song that you need/like to hear before you arrive at church?
19. Who is the one Anon you would most like to smack? Why?
A. Mr. Universalism, Arminian Raccoon, Calvinist Batman, Arminian Superman… This would be easier if you asked me who I don’t want to smack.
20. What would you consider the “worst”—Christian book, Christian music, Christian movies? (If you have more than one choice, please feel free to list them.)
A. Hmmm… I usually avoid dumb stuff altogether. Ah… This will hurt. Jesus Calling. When the Bible’s insufficient… Jesus is Calling. People spend far too much “hearing God talk to them” and far too little listening to what he has already said…in his Word.
21. Is the church relevant? If yes, what would you consider the best way to reach the unchurched?
I’d say much of what passes for “church” today has become irrelevant. The Gospel is always relevant. The question is whether or not the “church” is preaching it. By and large, we have replaced, in the US, a Gospel-centered church with a man-centered, entertainment driven model.
Oh, and all you old people who think I’m referring to the flashy young people’s services… you’re no better. Your hymnals, organs, and suits are no less self-entertainment than the young guy’s skinny jeans, rock band, and modern music. It’s both often man-centered entertainment designed to please men rather than God.
You asked for 11… Hulk gave you all 21.
Cause HULK SMASH!!!!!!!!